The Exploration Geophysicist is a multi-disciplinary integrator working in the areas of Geophysics with knowledge of Geology, Geochemistry, Risk Analysis and Exploration Economics and belongs to Schlumberger Technical Community. He/She should be able to work in a wide variety of projects including single well interpretation, exploratory play evaluation, integrated reservoir studies and field development planning. He/She is involved in integrated reservoir projects, field development planning, and production development. Although geophysical skills are the most necessary aspect of this position, knowledge of static model construction, geology, petrophysics, basin analysis and Schlumberger logging tools and various software is important. He/She should be able to analyze market trends and developments of the exploration functions to provide input to SLB strategy across Product Lines.
Relationships: Supervisor: Technical Team Lead /Sub-Product Line Operations Manager / Country Field Operations Manager /GMKT Operations Manager /Project Manager
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Qualifications and Experience:
Preferably require industry experience in AVO, seismic inversion or pressure studies, seismic interpretation and modeling, seismic data processing and/or multi-component analysis. Has a good understanding of geophysics and geology with strong practical reservoir geophysics applications capability.
Competencies to be kept current:
- Deep understanding in hydrocarbon system analysis applied to the identification of economic exploration opportunities in different geological settings.
- Advanced ability to validate structural, stratigraphic and charge models.
- Multidisciplinary integration capabilities of information in the definition of economics exploration opportunities.
- Strategic approach to using the most suitable technology for exploration projects
- Be able to assemble exploration portfolio and exploration campaigns.
- Knowledge and handling of the cycle time activities in exploration.
- Advanced knowledge in risk and uncertainty assessments for exploration.
- Good understanding of the hydrocarbon business in order to identify viable exploration projects.
- Develops new approaches to enable others to resolve similar problems in the field of expertise.
- Uses conceptual skills to tackle problems which have not been addressed before.
- Contributes to the team/area to optimum performance levels through leadership abilities
- Establishes goals in order to meet objectives.
- Provides strategic direction and support to area.
- Advanced mentoring skills
- Inspires belief in/or commitment to an idea/concept by confidently and articulately communicating a vision (Inspirational presenter able to cope with any audience and adapt presentation on the move).
- Expert oral and written communication skills: Regularly consults senior management or executive levels on matters concerning areas. Requires the ability to change the thinking of and gain acceptance of other in sensitive situations
- Ability to negotiate effectively with customers, contractors, and competitors
- Customer oriented, actively communicates with peers, internal and/or external customers to ensure service level exceeds expectations.
- Advanced understanding of how other disciplines interact with own, leads contributions within other disciplines for increased synergy
- Ability to analyze area in the identification of risks and methods of applying company strategy.
- Advanced understanding of and practice of the principles of Quality Management
- Advanced understanding of the company's strategy and how own role, project and/or department fits in
- Advanced understanding of own Product Line's range of services & products, and the relationship to other parts of OFS/WG.
- Knows strengths, competitive advantage and position in market place
- Actively participates in Oil & Gas E&P forums, symposiums, etc.
- Promotes standards & develops procedures to improve quality
- Is familiar with the way our customers work and can apply this to deliver improvements of commercial benefit to SLB
- Keeps track of the competition so that the benefit can respond to changes
- Carries out strategic management of multiple projects; identifies and anticipates future business-wide projects and adopts plans accordingly
Managing the Assigned Tasks
- Has advanced functional and technical skills required to do the job.
- Capable of setting of own and team's objectives and identifies key requirements.
- Balances priorities & interfaces with internal/external customers & stakeholders to ensure expectations are met.
- Able to identify, assess & manage risk effectively in a project based environment.
- Develops plans & critical paths for complex projects.
- Co-ordinates and liaises between projects which involve cross-disciplinary resources, monitoring a number of different projects at different stages of the project cycle, and checking achievements to key milestones. Ensures objectives are achieved within budget.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.