Library Trainee (Intern) – Starting early 2023 (can be flexible), for a period of 12-18 months
We are a global technology company, driving energy innovation for a balanced planet.
At SLB we create amazing technology that unlocks access to energy for the benefit of all. That is our purpose. As innovators, that’s been our mission for 100 years. We are facing the world’s greatest balancing act- how to simultaneously reduce emissions and meet the world’s growing energy demands. We’re working on that answer. Every day, a step closer.
Our collective future depends on decarbonizing the fossil fuel industry, while innovating a new energy landscape. It’s what drives us. Ensuring progress for people and the planet, on the journey to net zero and beyond. For a balanced planet.
SLB Cambridge Research (SCR) is part of SLB’s global network of research and engineering centres. SCR is a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment with state-of-the-art research and computing facilities. We work on applied research projects in the physical sciences to meet the current and future challenges of the industry.
SLB Cambridge Research is a distinctive marquee-like structure dominating the High Cross site on the western outskirts of Cambridge, England. This spectacular building was completed in 1985 and the smaller second phase was opened in 1992. It has recently been classified as a Grade II listed building. Altogether, there are more than 930 m2; of laboratory space and offices for more than 100 scientists, technicians and domain experts.
We are seeking a trainee to join our small team of information professionals supporting a global company, based in Cambridge, UK.
This role would suit an individual taking their first steps into the profession, offering the opportunity to gain valuable experience in all aspects of working in a modern library.
Benefits of this post include being part of the Cambridge Library Trainee scheme, with the opportunity to visit many local libraries. Job-specific training will be provided, and time given to work on professional development using learning resources such as Degreed.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
· Assisting scientists and engineers, both on site and globally, to use our library resources and locate the information they need.
· Providing inductions for new staff.
· Sourcing and delivering documents digitally to users.
· Managing our small on-site journal and book collection: processing, cataloguing, and weeding.
· Maintaining our websites and publicising our services.
· Editing a monthly newsletter.
· Library project work, to be defined.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office 365 would be helpful
· Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn, the desire to help others, and the ability to work independently
· We are very interested to hear from applicants with a scientific or engineering background
Qualifications & Experience:
· The position is open to:
o Recent graduates, with a good honours degree in any subject who can demonstrate an interest in libraries or
o Applicants with a minimum of 2 years working (or volunteering) for a library service and keen to progress into the profession.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity.