Advanced Process Modeling Engineer - Carbon Capture
At SLB, we have over 80 years of experience in mapping, measuring, and modeling underground rock formations. We have applied that know-how to become an early leader in the important new technology of carbon capture and storage (CCS), with involvement in more than 60 CO2 storage projects around the globe.
The Senior Carbon Capture Modeling Engineer position is responsible for the development of process simulation models to simulate carbon capture. He/She is expected to support the development of computational algorithms and models for the process design and the optimization of novel carbon capture techniques.
• Apply chemical engineering principles, computational modeling tools, and experimental skills to develop material and energy balances and kinetic models to provide process design for innovative carbon capture facilities.
• Perform sensitivity studies to understand and model thermodynamic, mass/heat transfer and kinetic factors impacting carbon capture operations.
• Be a member of a multidisciplinary team, including chemists, chemical engineers, and mechanical engineers to develop carbon capture solutions.
• Identify novel system configurations for improved carbon dioxide capture performance with a focus on greater reliability and lower energy requirements, based on environmental and business constraints.
• Carry out novel short-term industrial research studies to resolve urgent, complex, and unique technical problems related to carbon capture.
• Investigate new and developing technologies as they appear in industry and academia and determine how to leverage these new technologies into our digital solutions.
• Develop analyses to support commercial strategy derived from a mix of technical research, market/competitor intelligence, policy understanding, and project economic analysis.
• Participate in process engineering efforts for the development of large-scale R&D carbon-capture projects.
• Create, execute, and improve process simulations for pilot-scale, demonstration, and commercial projects, systems, and new products.
• Develop and deliver process models that meet the needs of R&D, Engineering, and Sales support teams.
• MSc or PhD in Chemical Engineering with 0-5 years of relevant experience with an emphasis in computational methodologies. Other closely related backgrounds will be considered.
• Experience in advanced mathematical modeling techniques, such as creation of custom models relevant for chemical processes.
• Experience with parameter estimation, optimization and model development.
• Working knowledge of Python, C++ or other programming languages.
• Experience with process simulation tools, such as Symmetry, Aspen+, gPROMS, Petro-Sim, UniSim, ProMax, etc.
• Demonstrated project execution experience, teamwork experience & ability to work across all functions/levels as part of a team.
• Good communication skills and the ability to be a team player in a highly multidisciplinary setting.
• Strong knowledge in thermodynamics (electrolytes), kinetics, heat and mass transfer, acid gas treating, and carbon capture utilization and sequestration.
• Previous exposure with data analytics and real-time data processing will be a bonus.
• Experience in designing, building, and operating chemical processing facilities will be preferred.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, or other characteristics protected by law. We are an “Equal Opportunity Employer".
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation / modification to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in the interview process, please contact email@example.com to request assistance. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to.
We are committed to a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments, please visit our Diversity & Inclusion | SLB (slb.com) for more information.
SLB is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.