Graduate Front End Software Engineer
Abingdon, United Kingdom – Abingdon Technology Center https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H13CBeudfXY
We are Schlumberger, the leading provider of technology and services to the energy industry. Throughout much of the oil and gas lifecycle in over 120 countries; we design, develop, and deliver technology and services that transforms how work is done.
We define the boundaries of the industry by unleashing our talented people’s energy. We’re looking for innovators to join our diverse community of colleagues and develop new solutions and push the limits of what’s possible. If you share our passion for discovery and want to find out what you could really do, then here is the place to do it.
At Schlumberger Abingdon, UK, we are seeking bright and motivated recent graduates and final year students to design, develop, test and support operations across a range of our Software as a Service products. The focus of the team is the delivery of leading commercial Software as a Service products to help experts in the energy sector across a variety of domains. A Front End Engineer is required to develop the next generation Schlumberger web portal for enabling our clients to consume software services on the cloud and providing them an advanced user experience.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to learn commercial software development, as a Front-End Software Engineer. To develop our cloud products, we follow the latest best practices in the industry, the successful applicant will gain exposure to the latest Front End frameworks and technologies, as they engineer and develop our microservices-based systems.
The development team works closely with the product and service teams in Abingdon and from the wider Schlumberger organization, as well as engaging with external groups. To be successful the applicant must be comfortable working in an Agile software development environment, be able to demonstrate strong initiative, as well as proactively collaborating with other groups.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to:
· Design and develop Responsive Cloud applications.
· Build automated tests and own source code quality.
· Contribute to the automated deployment and build.
· Support the software reliability engineering and contribute to the software operation.
· Participate in technical reviews of requirements, designs, code and other SCRUM ceremonies.
· Create and maintain app/workflow documentation.
· Work closely with the UX team to provide an Advanced user experience.
· Share expertise throughout Schlumberger and expand his/her informal network.
· Identify and keep abreast of new technical concepts in Front End Development.
Qualifications and competencies:
The candidate must be a recent graduate or final year student studying either Computer Science, or STEM Discipline with programming experience.
The successful candidate should possess the following:
· Experience with a Front End framework, ideally Angular v7 and above
· Experience integrating with Back End software using microservices (APIGEE or other)
· Knowledge of usability/user experience, coding practices and GUI best practices
· Experience with SRE based operation and continuous integration and deployment
· Ability to be involved and deliver in all aspects of the software development cycle (design, development, automated testing, automated deployment and build, software reliability engineering and operation support)
· Ability to write clean and efficient code
· Ability to innovate and solve complex problems
· Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
· A passion for software and technology
· Excellent communication skills.
· Excellent time-management, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
· Ability to combine technical skills and design sensibilities
Experience in any of the following would be preferred:
· Cloud platforms (e.g. Microsoft Azure (preferred) or Google Cloud Platform)
· Micro-Frontend architecture
· Nwrl or other monorepo tooling
Compensation & Benefits:
· Competitive package (£40,000 - £50,000) including performance related bonus
· Private healthcare for employee + family
· Flexible working: 2 days in office are required, 3 days flexible
· Subsidised dental care
· Health & Wellbeing programs
· Relocation: If an employee lives more than 40 miles away from the office then they are eligible for relocation. This comes with:
1. Custom Relocation assistance
2. Relocation Allowance – 2 months’ base salary
· Employee Mental health support, health & wellness coaching
· Employee discounted share purchasing scheme & pension contribution (up to 6%)
· Generous income protection scheme, life insurance (4 times base salary, min 150K)
· Other benefits through flexible benefits program (Cycle to Work, salary sacrifice, option to select additional insurances like travel insurance, health screening…)
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected